Wednesday, February 1, 2012

My Cake Pop Journey...

So...unless you've been curled up, nice and cozy style, under a rock somewhere....you've heard of Cake Pops right??? Hopefully, you've even had the chance to taste or make your own.

A mere 4 years ago (TODAY) Bakerella shared her unbelievably sweet and inspiring Cupcake Pops on her blog...and the rest...well...you know ;) She graciously asked her followers to share their Cake Pop experiences on her POST declaring today NATIONAL CAKE POP DAY....and I wanted to share MY Cake Pop journey with all of you.



In 2010 my daughter was born, so that meant we had 2 kiddos under the age of 2 in daycare, and I was looking for a way to make a little extra money. I worked a full-time job, but was hoping I could start doing something I really LOVED and make it profitable...just enough for me to be able to stay home with the kiddos and offset the cost of daycare...I wasn't looking for world domination here ;)

I founded Sweet Cheeks Tasty Treats that summer. I started selling baked goods, cookies, cupcakes, pretzel dippers...really anything that I liked to bake was on the menu. It was GREAT because it gave me a real excuse to get in the kitchen and bake my little heart out...my friends and family had been telling me I should for YEARS!

I stumbled upon Bakerella's AMAZING baking blog about one month into my little venture...I was instantly SMITTEN! The Cake Pops seriously STOLE MY HEART! I started simply, making basic pops....even then I doubted that I could tackle the detailed character pops.



I had a friend who relentlessly badgered me into attempting some Elmo Pops for her daughter's birthday party....they turned out SO stinkin' cute! It really was a LIGHTBULB moment for me! Trying to tackle something I thought I couldn't do, and succeeding....I wanted to try SO many more! I realized that that was it...I felt like I had really found my niche!


That fall, I participated in a Cupcake Skewer Contest hosted by Pizzazzerie...for which Bakerella was a judge, and  part of the prize package included a SIGNED COPY of her book! I entered....and WON!

Then, when a signing tour was announced....I was BEYOND giddy! I traveled with my sister to Chicago (from Iowa) to meet her! I was so excited I seriously could...barely speak....for those of you that know me personally, it may be a hard concept to get your brain around...me...without WORDS - LOL!  I felt a little stalkerish to be honest....I wanted to THANK her....for inspiring me...for making me feel like I could do this...but instead, I spoke a handful of words and giggled - LOL!

See...I look CRAZED...I'm surprised I was allowed to get that close to her - LOL!

Later that year I had some of my Cake Pops selected to be in Bakerella's POP STAR section! This was HUGE for me...to have something I created on HER site, where I continue to find inspiration...well I'll just say...it was kind of  BIG DEAL!

226-popstars-audry-lg

After I had been taking orders for a little over a year, my husband and I decided it was time for me to take the plunge and stay home! I felt SO blessed....blessed to have found a way to be home with my kiddos during the day, blessed with the support of AMAZING family and friends, blessed to have met SO many amazing people online and in person through this business....the Cake Pop community is one of the most supportive and generous that you'll find ANYWHERE!

I try to post new Cake Pop creations as I make them...and have even posted a couple of Cake Pop tutorials myself! I've had people ask WHY I posted tutorials...when I make a living SELLING my Cake Pops...why would I want to show other people how? It's one of those things....when you find REAL JOY and PASSION doing what you do....I think it's only natural to want to SHARE that...to put a little bit of it back out into the world....I mean really, what would Bakerella do? LOL! Sidenote...when I'm working through a new pop I ask myself that ALL THE TIME...WWBD...maybe we should get bracelets ;)

TUTORIAL: Apple Pencil Cake Pops!

 

TUTORIAL: Rose Cake Pops


So here is a round-up of some of the Cake Pops I've made...I hope you enjoy! Thank you ALL for continuing to support this venture....it has been rewarding BEYOND MEASURE!

If you don't follow me on FB please pop over...I post new Cake Pops & Cupcakes there too!!!

 















classic white cake pops used as wedding favors



















~Audrey

9 comments:

  1. Oh I just love them all! I wish I was creative enough to make them myself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE these! You have AMAZING talent! I've tried to make these and they NEVER look this pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow you are SO talented! I wish I had HALF your talent! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow!!! Love all of your pops, and your sweet tribute to Bakerella!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You do beautiful work, Audrey. I loved reading about your journey and wish you much success in the future. Your story is so inspiring to me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your work is amazing! I don't even like cake but just smile looking at your creations!

    KK

    ReplyDelete
  7. You’re such an inspiration, Audrey. You may not be one of the dragons that rule the business world, but your story tells that anyone can make a living out of their interest. Thanks for the words! Your creations all look yummy.

    Clint Shaff

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's a really great feeling to earn from a “little” something that you love to do. It only means that big success starts from small steps that you take. It’s just a matter of hard work and perseverance. Good luck! Your cake pops look delicious.

    Kim Bonner

    ReplyDelete