Monday, October 10, 2011

OGRE Toes: revisited!

I thought now was the perfect time of year to share my OGRE TOE tutorial again! These treats were a BIG hit around here last year. BONUS: they're SO super easy to make! I'm going to make them for our annual Merry NOT Scary Costume Party for the Little Monsters this weekend.

I thought this year I'd use white midgees for the "toenails" and call them Frankie Fingers ;) A fun little twist on a treat that is ALREADY a family FAVE! (UPDATE: I did make some Frankie Fingers...and some dipped all in white with white "nails"...Mummy Knuckles!" LOL...super FUN & CREEPY!)

Here's the original tutorial for your Halloween Treat enjoyment!

Ogre Toes!

 


Supplies:
Circus Peanuts
Green Candy Melts or White Almond Bark tinted with candy coloring (The Wilton Spooky Green Candy Melts are out NOW for Halloween. You can find them at Michael's and even Walmart!)
Candy Fruit Chews, assorted colors
Toothpicks


 First you'll want to get whatever candy coating you're using melted to a good consistency for dipping. I have a candy melter that works great for these kind of projects.


Next, to make the Circus Peanuts a little more toe-like, flatten them by pressing down on each one with the bottom of a glass until they are nice and SMOOSHED. (UPDATE: this year, I put several Circus Peanuts in between sheets of wax paper and then smooshed them with the glass...it worked like a charm!)

Repeat this step with all of the Circus Peanuts you plan to use.

Then I used kitchen shears to cut the fruit chews into small pieces.



After all of the pieces have been cut, use something to press them into "toenail" shapes. I used a metal measuring spoon to flatten each piece. (UPDATE:  This year I used the wax paper method with the "toenails" too, and used the glass to flatten...MUCH quicker!)

Using a toothpick inserted in one end of the Circus Peanut, dip the entire "toe" into the melted candy coated until it is evenly covered.



Remove the "toe" from  the candy coating and gently tap on the edge of your bowl to remove any excess candy melt.



Place each dipped Circus Peanut on to a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper to set. Top each one with a pressed piece of fruit chew.



Last step to really put them into over-the-top-creepy-cool status...use a toothpick to draw "knuckle" lines onto each of your Ogre Toes!

I'd love to hear from you if you plan on using these for your Halloween gathering!
Happy Treat Making!
~Audrey

31 comments:

  1. That's hilarious! And kinda gross lookin...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh these are adorable!! I love them. I would LOVE for you to stop over and link these and anything Halloween in my Halloween link up! I'd love to have you!

    Thanks for sharing, Kelli
    http://3boysandadog.com/deals/2011/halloween-post-round-up-with-linky/

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are great! Thanks for the tutorial. Love them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Too cute!
    I just added you to my Pinterest board at
    http://pinterest.com/cafed/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am just in awe of your creativity! These are fabulous. I have just pinned them so I remember to try them. Thanks for the smile and inspiration. I am a new follower from Too Cute Tuesday. Vicky from www.messforless.net

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am definitely making these for my kids' Halloween party! Thanks for the tut!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is probably the most creative Halloween treat I've seen so far. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  8. how cute will be trying these but not sure where I can find green chips will have to probably use food color thanks for sharing come see me at http://shopannies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope you all DO try them! The Spooky Green melts are out right now for Halloween ;) I always stock-up this time of year! You can find them at Michael's and even Walmart...a good time to get some black melts too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are so gross (in a good way!!). I'm so looking forward to when my little guy is ready to get into Halloween :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my goodness, my grandsons would LOVE THESE!! Thanks for posting this clever idea. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are FABULOUS...definitely keeping your recipe to make 'em with my grand-boys...thanks!
    Hope you'll be able to take some time to visit my little space in the blogosphere as well...

    Deborah
    http://upcyclingmylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are so fun!! Great idea for a Halloween party :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those are so great. Very creative. Love your blog. Come visit us. We have a wonderful gnocchi recipe this week and be sure to leave a comment on our blogiversary post. You might win a prize.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I KNEW it! I KNEW those were circus peanuts. OMG I love them!! Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  16. These look just gross enough for Halloween--perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  17. These are soo cute!! I love the color of them and the drawn on 'knuckles'. Perfectly gorss!!

    Coley @
    www.whatyoumakeit-coley.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. What an adorable idea for children Halloween parties. I love it! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  19. These are totally awesome. Pinning these!

    ReplyDelete
  20. this is just perfect!!! I love it :))

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love it. I have never seen this idea before and I think my kids would really love it. I bet they would love making them too.
    I would love it if you would share these on my "It's A Celebration" link party!
    Christina
    http://www.inspirationforcelebration.com/2011/10/its-celebration-link-party-october-2011.html

    ReplyDelete
  22. New follower! This is a genius idea! Love it. :)
    xo
    Kelli

    ReplyDelete
  23. too cute! I saw some similar in Taste of Home, but I like your way better!!

    Thanks for linking up! I featured your post in my wrap up http://tidymom.net/2011/halloween-party-foods/

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love these!!! I need to make these for our Halloween party! Thanks for sharing:)

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a fun idea and so creative with the pieces of candy that you've used. I love this idea. I may just have to make it for the kids in the lane.

    ReplyDelete
  26. featuring on Thursday afternoon at Bacon Time!

    ReplyDelete
  27. CONGRATULATIONS!!! Your recipe is being featured today at CAST PARTY WEDNESDAY by Lady Behind The Curtain. Come over and get your "featured" button. Thanks for sharing with us last week I hope you can join us again!
    ---Sheryl---
    http://ladybehindthecurtain.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. Featuring YOU over on my blog today! This looks so yummy & creepy! hehe Thank you so much for linking up to my {wow me} wednesday party last week! :)

    Ginger @ gingersnapcrafts.com

    http://www.gingersnapcrafts.com/2011/10/take-look-at-you-top-12.html

    ReplyDelete
  29. These are so cute and we just shared on our Fun Finds Friday!
    http://kitchenfunwithmy3sons.blogspot.com/2011/10/fun-finds-friday_21.html

    ReplyDelete
  30. CONGRATULATIONS!!! Your recipe is being featured today on Feature Friday At Lady Behind The Curtain! Please come over a grab a "feature friday" button. ---Sheryl---
    http://ladybehindthecurtain.com

    ReplyDelete
  31. Just stopping by to let you know that I have featured your project on Fun Family Crafts! You can see it here
    http://funfamilycrafts.com/ogre-toes/

    If you have other kid friendly crafts, I'd love it if you would submit them :) If you would like to display a featured button on your site, you can grab one from the right side bar of your post above.

    ReplyDelete