Friday, September 24, 2010

Ogre Toes!

Lately I've been thinking a lot about Halloween....more accurately about Halloween treats (imagine that!) We are going to be hosting a children's costume party next month and my excitement is just barely contained.

My son is a huge Shrek fan and that is where the inspiration for these treats came from. Here are step by step instructions so you can make and enjoy them too!


Ogre Toes

Supplies:
Circus Peanuts
Green Candy Melts or White Almond Bark tinted with candy coloring
Candy Fruit Chews, assorted colors



 First you'll want to get whatever candy coating you're using melted to a good consistency for dipping. I have a candy melter that works great for these kind of projects.



Next, to make the Circus Peanuts a little more toe-like, flatten them by pressing down on each one with the bottom of a glass until they are flattened.


Repeat this step with all of the Circus Peanuts you plan to use.


Then I used kitchen shears to cut the fruit chews into small pieces.



After all of the pieces have been cut, use something to press them into "toenail" shapes. I used a metal measuring spoon to flatten each piece.


Using a toothpick inserted in one end of the Circus Peanut, dip the entire "toe" into the melted candy coated until it is evenly covered.



Remove the "toe" from  the candy coating and gently tap on the edge of your bowl to remove any excess candy melt.



Place each dipped Circus Peanut on to a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper to set. Top each one with a pressed piece of fruit chew.



Last step to really put them into over-the-top-creepy-cool status...use a toothpick to draw "knuckle" lines onto each of your Ogre Toes!


I'd love to hear from you if you plan on using these for your Halloween gathering!
Happy Treat Making!
~Audrey



5 comments:

  1. So totally cute! I love those peanut things!!!

    www.makingmemorieswithyourkids.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are bizarre but TOTALLY AWESOME!!! I love them! Just stumbled into your blog! I like!

    ReplyDelete
  3. super cute, I imagine you could also use nutter butter cookies as well

    ReplyDelete